Monday, October 1, 2012

Anticipations

Even though my last post was titled "Transitions" there have been even more since then. All summer long I have been in anticipation of changes to come. The new job, the new apartment, the new roommates, the new kitchen, and above all a new attitude and a new outlook on life. Each and every change has come about with careful consideration and weighed options, and fortunately each has been a cause for celebration. 

The not-so-new job is still going very well, still not related to food but so far plenty to learn, plenty to contribute and even lots of fun to be had. The real star at this point is my new home life. I've gotten lucky, especially for New York, and have consistently lived with relative strangers who have turned out to be fun companions and some even good friends. Even if you live in the most beautiful place in the world it can be soured by poor quality of company. Thankfully, once again, I seem to have found myself among roommates-cum-friends to be. With good relationships in place I'm free to enjoy my new home at ease. And this is where all the celebration really comes in... 

Before I was in a decent sized bedroom... without windows. Before I had a nice wide kitchen with a full-size fridge and a working gas oven... that occupied half of the room considered to be the living room. As I said, I had wonderful roommates and a Manhattan-low rent so I was in that apartment for over two years. When it was time to find a new place, these factors created my primary requirements: windows/light/air and as real a kitchen I could find within my rent budget. I'm pleased and proud to say my needs have been met in abundance.

The new bedroom is bigger than the last (more room for my books!) and features two high and wide windows, full of light, air and city sounds. The kitchen, conveniently located right next to my bedroom, is galley-style with room for an eat-in table and chairs, lots of cabinets and up-above storage, a full-size gas stove, full size fridge and yet another window (expect better daylight food photos). In addition to these key features, the new place also has a spacious living room-cum-dining room, wide hallways, big closets and a black and white tiled bathroom. Seriously, there are wins left and right in this place! Oh there's laundry in the basement, too! And even with all of this my rent hardly changed (even when you divide the broker's fees across 12 months its not a big jump). I feel so fortunate. 

But back to anticipations. The job and apartment changes had been anticipated for years and months. Now that they have both happened, I'm finally picking up my new rhythm. This is the very first night I have come right home from work with no where to go, no one to see and no feeling of "should" in terms of unpacking, doing laundry, sorting apartment things, etc. Empowerment and liberation flow over me. 

Here you find me, back to focusing on my beloved CL. I've missed it. I hope maybe some of you have missed it, too. Should I ever have to leave you for weeks and then a full month at a time again, I pray it be for even more wonderful change in my life. 

I quite enjoyed giving you an obsessions list in my last post, but rather than simply follow suit I'd like to offer up even more anticipations (simply masked obsessions-to-come). Fall always fills me with expectation. Always much to look forward to. So here are the main things I've got on my mind: 

1. Butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, and Pumpkin, Pumpkin, Pumpkin
Summer is hands down the tastiest season, but there is something so rich and satisfying about the foods of fall. Turning on the oven, breaking down whole a butternut squash, tossing the orange cubes with olive oil, salt and pepper and then devouring half the roasted pan piece by piece leads me to bliss.

2. Changing Leaves
Throughout this month I'll find myself railing along the Hudson river almost every week. I'll be northbound for weddings and birthdays and cannot wait to see New York State on fire with fall. Crunching leaves, nippy air and those clean, strong and spicy autumn smells  instantly make me feel sentimental and joyful.

3. Breakfast at Home
You may have noticed I've been giving my Facebook page some love but instead of my typical dinner photos you've seen a mix of coffee mugs and toast. One of the main benefits of going from a room with zero natural light to a sun shower of it is being able to wake up happily and easily in the morning (having a job I'm glad to go to helps with that, too). My breakfast ritual is in full swing - a mix of soft boiled eggs, pumpkin English muffins, avocado toasts with hot honey and always fresh French press coffee or chai lattes. I anticipate its return every night when I go to bed. 

4. Television
I wouldn't call myself TV-obsessed, but I do love television and movies. I love them for the same reason I love books and cooking - they're all mini escapes filled with fun and romance. So I'm excited for Gossip Girl, 30 Rock (final season :( ), Up All Night, the end of RHONY and my regulars, like Nigella and Ina on my off weekdays. I'm also excited for my (our?) blogger-friend Phoebe Lapine of Feed Me Phoebe and formerly of BGSK to appear on a new BBC America show called Chef Race - how exciting! I was hoping to join her Virtual Potluck for tomorrow's premiere but it just wasn't in the cards. Luckily I would have shared my signature Mac and Cheese with you - and Phoebe covered the bases there with her own GF version. Tune in or DVR the show on BBC America tomorrow night, October 2nd, at 9:00pm (I'm DVRing, as I'll be at the Yankees-Red Sox game!).

5. More Cooking, More Writing
Since it has been a long time coming I hope this is the first post of many more to come, at a regularly delicious pace, nonetheless. I hope to be cooking up a storm now that I literally have a great kitchen right off my bedroom! 

-------

Have you been in anticipation of anything lately?

Is there anything you would like to see on the CL that I can set up for you to anticipate (like a giveaway, coming soon!)? 

Please leave me your comments and let me know what's new with you! 

No comments: