Saturday, July 6, 2013

WINNER: A Call To Write: All-American Summer & Lobsters

I hope you've been having a nice, relaxing holiday weekend. I celebrated the 4th with family and friends and LOTS of delicious summer food; hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, steak, cold beer, margaritas and salty brownies. Your responses for ultimate summer foods made my mouth water! I'm looking forward to the weeks ahead where I get to revel in the summer's bounty. 

Now for the winner of the June stationary & stamps giveaway. This response included one of my favorite dishes to make and something that epitomizes summer vegetables for me. It was Hannah's comment about ratatouille!:

            Ratatouille, from The Art of Simple Food. One of the first things I'd ever cooked, 
            from the first cookbook I'd ever bought. 



            I'd moved to Pittsburgh for grad school, out of college dorms, out of home, and 
            knew I 
had to start cooking for myself or else I wouldn't eat. It was the very end of   
            summer, a couple of weeks to adjust to the city and a new climate before classes 
            started. I knew the dish by name from the movie, knew all the ingredients could be 
            purchased locally, knew that it'd be delicious. And it was. Whenever I make it, I     
            think of summertime, and how I began to learn to take care of myself.

I love Alice Water's Art of Simple Food, too, and I'm looking forward to picking up the new edition when it comes out in the fall! Hannah, please email me the address you would like me to send your stationary and stamps: theculinarylibrarian[at]gmail.com. 

In a couple weeks I will be posting July's giveaway and I am very, very excited for it! One word: glitter! Keep an eye right here for it! 

No comments: