Friday, August 19, 2011

Follow Fridays: #FoodJobs


Food jobs are near and dear to my heart, as I hope to have one of my own someday soon. I started blogging in part to get my passion for food out of my head and into words but also as a means of creating a reference point when applying to food jobs, a field I have no formal training in. Luckily, there are some really great resources for people who want to make a living from their love of food. Here are some of those resources who keep up excellent Twitter accounts and who I always give a special Follow Friday (#FF) to with other hashtags like: #PostYourJobs #Jobs #FoodJobsforAll. 

@GoodFoodJobs - The account I always list first in this category is Good Food Jobs. There is not enough I can say about what a great resource Taylor Cocalis and Dorothy Neagle have created. The site is a job listing board, a way to find out what sort of businesses are up and coming, and a wonderful blog (The Gastrognomes) that interviews one amazing person after the next. The Gastrognomes blog is my favorite part of their site. The best question they always ask their interviewees is: "What advice do you have for others in search of a good food job?" The answers to these always make me think of something new and give me a boost when I feel like my job search is becoming futile. If you are an employer with a good food business, please post your jobs here! It is the best place to post if you want to hire people who are truly passionate about food and want work that satisfies the need to express that passion daily. Job seekers: keep applying! Sign up for their newsletter to get job listings and the blog post of the week in your inbox every Tuesday morning.

@TheSFJblog - Similar to Good Food Jobs, Sustainable Food Jobs is a blog that has job listings focused even more closely on the sustainability side of things. They often list internships and other non-traditional means of gaining experience in the culinary world. If you are seeking a food job, this should be a site you follow. Since it is a blog you can easily subscribe to the RSS Feed and simply get their job postings the same way you read your favorite blogs. 

@FoodJobsBook - The title of my blog comes from a job title I discovered from Googling search terms that might return a career path for me soon after graduating from college. Irena Chalmers' book Food Jobs: 150 Great Jobs for Culinary Students, Career Changers and Food Lovers is an excellent resource for anyone who is looking to turn their passion for food into a career. Culinary Librarian is one of those 150 jobs and the combination of food and research suited me well so when I started this blog, so the title stuck. Chamlers tweets tidbits and tips about working and different job titles. Her blog is a great way to keep your prospects for employment in the food world fresh. She will profile a career and how it can be a food job, even if it doesn't sound like one. Recently she wrote about a woman who loved to shop and made a food job of it by being a tabletop consultant. I highly recommend buying her book and keeping up with her online. 

Next Week: #FF #Friends #Foodies
Not following me on Twitter yet?: @culinarylibrari

-------
Week 1: Introduction and #Reading

No comments: