Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Introducing Wednesday Haiku

For a little while I've been debating something I could do regularly to ensure at least one post a week. Life, as it gets from time to time, has been quite busy as of late. I haven't been posting as frequently and its not for lack of inspiration but merely lack of time to devote to writing and writing well. It has never been my style to slap up a series of photos and put them out into the blogosphere to be ignored. 

What I have come up with for you combines two of my dear loves and creates a format I will easily be able to maintain on a weekly basis: culinary haiku. Somewhere in my heart I believe I have felt inspired by haiku even before learning about them in school. My affection for them flourished in one of the most memorable classes I took as an undergrad at SUNY Geneseo: Literature and the Environment. One of our first assignments was to write haiku. We were also asked to keep a journal for class. Somewhat naturally the two combined for me and I am glad to have a small notebook replete with haiku on a variety of topics. Typically haiku is supposed to focus on themes in nature, but I quickly argued in class and maintain the argument today, that everything that surrounds us is nature because it all exists within the natural world. Sure, a tree that grew without being planted or cultivated that lives in a dense forest may be more natural than a laptop, but they both are made from the earth and its naturally occurring inhabitants.


So from here on out, on Wednesdays at 11:07am EST you will find a haiku on The Culinary Librarian. Hopefully it will be a fun and welcome midweek treat. The topic will always relate to the food world in someway without always being obvious how. Some weeks I may include more than just the haiku but we'll see where it takes me as time passes. I will follow the traditional syllabic structure of 5/7/5. I welcome and encourage you all to comment on the posts. For the more esoteric seeming poems feel free to make suggestions as to what you think I mean. At the heart of me I will always be the student who fell in love with English in her High School class when her teacher told her everything in a novel or poem had meaning, intention and was up for analysis. I never shook my analytic thinking and even though it gets me into trouble sometimes, I would never hope to reverse it. 

Now it is time to begin: 



you can tweet me at
destined for haiku



P.S: April also happens to be National Poetry Month. Perfect time to start.

No comments: